Director, Clean Water Supply
Company: American Rivers
Posted on: September 12, 2019
TITLE:-- Director, Clean Water Supply CLASSIFICATION:-- Director I
DEPARTMENT:-- Conservation WAGE CATEGORY:-- Exempt REPORTS TO:--
Senior Director, Clean Water Supply Program LOCATION:--Flexible:
Home office within reasonable commuting distance from Toledo, OH or
Fort Wayne, IN ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS Named one of the best groups
to support by "Outside" magazine, American Rivers protects wild
rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for
people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and
restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy
efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America's Most
Endangered Rivers(R) and National River Cleanup(R) campaigns.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices
across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and
volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment
with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more
information please visit www.americanrivers.org . -- American
Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion in
all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline.
The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and
communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our
organization and throughout the conservation field. Each individual
brings life experiences, knowledge, innovation and talent to our
work, providing perspectives, experiences and competencies that are
critical to our effectiveness. JOB SUMMARY American Rivers' Clean
Water Supply program seeks to ensure all people have access to
clean water and a healthy river. We do this by working with
municipalities to integrate their water management practices,
utilize natural infrastructure, and engage marginalized communities
in water decision-making. The Director position leads the
development and implementation of American Rivers' Clean Water
Supply program work in the Great Lakes region and will serve as the
national coordinator for the Clean Water Supply program's new Just
Water initiative, which focuses on supporting, connecting and
convening community-based organizations on issues regarding water
infrastructure. As part of the Just Water work in the Great Lakes,
the Director will serve as the Western Lake Erie Basin coordinator
for the Urban Waters Federal Partnership. The Director works
collaboratively with national, regional and local partners to
improve water quality and river health through advocacy, education,
technical assistance, and facilitation. Through the Just Water
initiative, the Director will work with local and regional
community-based organizations to support those organizations own
efforts to advocate for improved water management practices and to
help elevate their issues to a national level.-- The Director will
present on policy initiatives and programmatic work at professional
workshops and conferences. The Director will be responsible for
writing and editing blog posts, white papers, and reports in
support of their work. The Director will be responsible for
managing budgets and fundraising efforts including proposal writing
and reporting. The Director reports to the Senior Director of the
Clean Water Supply Program.-- -------- PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development of the new Just Water initiative, both in
the Great Lakes and nationally.
- Act as the American Rivers representative in the Great
- Serve as the Western Lake Erie Basin coordinator for the Urban
Waters Federal Partnership.
- Coordinate the Great Lakes Community Partners delegation.
- Build and maintain relationships with strategic partners,
stakeholders, and policymakers, including conservation
organizations, Members of Congress, government agencies, and
- Serve as the face of American Rivers by attending relevant
conferences and speaking at events.
- Manage project budgets, schedules, scopes of work, and
- Assist in the production of online materials, op-eds, press
releases and other media pieces.
- Support state and local level policy work as needed.
- Assist in raising funds to support a thriving program and
maintain positive relationships with foundation, corporate, and
individual donors. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong passion for protecting local water resources and
- Experience in water management or conservation or a related
- Experience with community engagement particularly with
marginalized communities and communities of color.
- Effective advocate with strong oral and written communications
- Strategic thinker; highly organized and able to meet
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Proven budget management and fundraising skills desired.
- Team player and demonstrated ability to work effectively with
colleagues to advance an organization's broader goals.
- Willingness to travel throughout the Great Lakes region and to
occasional meetings conferences outside the basin.
- Highly resourceful, organized self-starter - able to work
- At least 7 years of relevant experience or an advanced degree
in a related field with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS Salary is commensurate with experience.
Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life
insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time. APPLICATION
PROCESS Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants
should submit a resume and cover letter at
https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/-- -- No phone calls
please. American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply Apply for
Keywords: American Rivers, Toledo , Director, Clean Water Supply, Executive , Toledo, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!